Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tuesdays With Tatman #53

As you probably already know, I had the extreme pleasure of visiting the wonderfully hospitable town of Richmond, Va this past weekend to help celebrate Skull Appreciation Day. The Skull Master and his lovely counterpart, Jessica, were gracious hosts that made sure my time in the Commonwealth was a memorable one. I had the extreme pleasure in finally meeting my lovely coeditor, Azurafae, the phenonmenal co-curator and our behind the scenes man, Phil Cheney, along with a ton of great folks who love art and help make Skull-A-Day what it is. And, don't tell anyone, but the mysterious Citizen Agent did make a visit to the exhibit, albeit in total secrecy aside from one hidden clue. Honorable Agent C, your secret is safe with us.

The craft event went well on Saturday. We were joined by a ton of helpful volunteers who deserve a big thanks for making it lots of fun for the kids(and adults) who came out to participate in some skull making. That's where I made amends for not coming through with a quilt square for the Becky's Quilt Fund project. As part of my "punishment" I stitched this guy out of the fabrics that were provided and now I'd like to share it with you. This was hands down the best "punishment" I've ever had to do.



Thanks for helping me experience a new(ish) craft, Abby. I don't think I've done any sewing since elementary school and it was fun to bring this skull into view with your help. BTW, I'm still a little jealous of the cool skull pillow that was made. You know who you are.....

I do want to send a special thanks to Noah, Abby, Citizen, and Phil for being part of a great Skull Team. To Jessica, Chuck, and Mim for making me feel at home with their family. To John, Jay, and the Freehand Profit family for hooking me up with some incredible hospitality. And to all of the friends of the Scalins and the Skull-A-Day site that showed me that Richmond is truly a fitting location for the birthplace of this inspiring and creative collaboration.

8 comments:

Ange said...

The zipper teeth are a great idea!

Noah said...

Aww, thanks for all of the kind words, it was so great to have you here! And kudos on the fantastic sewing job, it's great piece!

Anonymous said...

Great work Tatman, everyone came together to have a great event. It was awesome meeting everyone. Hope to see everyone next year!

mim said...

It was so terrific to meet Tatman in person. We hope he'll return to the old Dominion with his family sometime.

Abby Davis said...

It was fabulous having you here. You did a fabulous job with your "punishment"...which wasn't really a punishment as much as me showing you that sewing isn't scary. I hope you come back to visit, with the family in tow.

J said...

& you are an amazing artist & a wonderful guest!! come back anytime!!! It was a lot of fun!!!

Ms. Blasé said...

Just spreading some blog love about Skull-A-Day:
http://www.adultawkwardness.com/2011/06/cranial-cravings.html

The Gleaner said...

It was great to finally meet you T-man. Sorry we didn't have a chance to say good-by. I'm sure we'll see you again in RVA!