Saturday, June 4, 2011

[BONUS] 386. Skull Appreciation Day Skull

Happy Skull Appreciation Day!

It took me a long time to figure out what to make for my Skull Appreciation Day exhibition piece. I felt like I needed to do something extra skull-y in my role as the creator of Skull-A-Day, so I finally decided to cover the blank papier-mâché base with a whole bunch of smaller papier-mâché skulls...








This took a couple of weeks to make since I had to do a small batch of skulls and then let it dry before rotating the base to do another batch. I then took a couple of days to paint the piece with acrylic washes.


 in process

 
 unpainted

For those of you in Richmond, VA please come out and see it in person at the Skull Appreciation Day exhibition which officially opened yesterday and runs through July 8. And of course don't forget the day of fun we have scheduled today! We'll be doing a free craft event from 12-4 and then dancing from 7-11pm all at Gallery 5. For those of you on Facebook the official invitation is HERE.

9 comments:

Divaeva said...

kewl! Have a bliss filled Skull Appreciation Day! <3

Creepy Glowbugg said...

Brilliant! I have one of those skulls just sitting around waiting for me to perform some sort of brilliance on it just like that! Really awesome piece of art!

KC said...

this is so cool...did you see there is a skull appreciation day blog hop?

starts here: http://moresmearedink.blogspot.com/

Barb said...

Wicked-cool! Beautiful art piece!

dolores said...

That's amazing Noah! Looks like a bunch of little barnacle skulls and so old...man would I love to have that sitting on my shelf!;)
irdlec
ps...I ordered your 365 book yesterday! WhoooHooo!

EITAKdesign said...

That's RAD! We're celebrating S-A-D here in sunny SD...

http://www.lovepaperpaint.com/2011/06/sketch-every-day-6411.html

Amy said...

It's fantastic! Even more so in person!! Thanks for sharing the process.

Stefan said...

I wish I could be there.

Kim said...

And this is why you're the skull guy, Noah. Fantastic piece, looks like it came out of a real ossuary.